Ingredients1 + 1/2 cup (170 g) all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (dutched/dark)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup (220 g) sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
3/4 cup (1.8 dl) milk
3/4 cup (170 g) melted butter
Ingredients for frosting1 stick (1/2 cup) + 3 tablespoons (160 g) softened butter
3 cups (7.2 dl) powdered sugar or confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 to 5 tablespoons lukewarm milk
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F (Gas mark 4 or 180 deg C)
- Grease a 9 inch (23 cm) cake tin.
- Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl.
- Melt the butter at low heat and add to the dry ingredients. Also add milk and eggs.
- Mix everything together until smooth, either by hand or by using an electric mixer at slow speed.
- Transfer to bake tin and bake at 350 degrees until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 35 to 45 minutes.
- After the cake has cooled, slice the cake through the middle to make two layers (easier if the cake has been in the fridge).
- Cream the softened butter with powdered sugar in a bowl. Add cocoa, vanilla and 4 tablespoons lukewarm milk, and mix until smooth. Do not over-mix. If necessary, add some more milk.
- Use one 1/3 of the frosting between the two layers, 1/3 on top, and the rest around the cake.
- This cake should have room temperature when served.
- You may cut the top of the cake to make a flat surface before adding the frosting.
- You may divide the butter in two and transfer to two bake tins. The baking time would then be about 15-20 minutes
- To make a tall cake, you may bake two cakes instead of slicing one into two layers
- You may use tasteless vegetable oil for the cake instead of melted butter. If so, also add 1/4 ts salt
- Instead of vanilla extract, you may use an equivalent amount of freeze dried coffee
- You may use ½ cup of freshly brewed coffee instead of milk or water to get mocca flavor