Heng hwa noodles (clams bee hoon)
- 600 g dried bee hoon (rice vermicelli)
- 300 g clams (la la), scrubbed well or 200g shelled clams
- 1Tbsp chopped garlic
- 400 g Chinese cabbage, shredded, flowering mustard leaves,torn into pieces
- 1cup chicken/vegetable stock or water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1Tbsp light soya sauce
- 1Tbsp rice wine
- White pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 1 cup dried and shredded nori seaweed, fried crisp
- Soak dried beehoon in cold water till it just softens, about 15 minutes. Remove and drain immediately. Leave aside.
- Scrub the clams well and soak in salted water to rid them of sand and grit.
Heat 1Tbsp. vegetable oil in a wok and fry seaweed till crisp. It takes just minutes. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- Brown garlic in remaining oil. Add clams and cabbage.
- Add rice wine and season with soya sauce and salt to taste.
- Pour over stock or water, bring to the boil and cover for a few minutes to allow the clams to steam.
- When clams have opened, add the beehoon. (Throw out the unopened ones.) Toss over high heat. Add white pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately, garnished with seaweed and peanuts.